Thursday, March 17, 2011

Preparation and Planning

Due to a number of reasons, I have decided that male contraception will be the best for my wife and me.  Although humans have been working on this for centuries, the options are limited. Condoms have not worked well for me in the past and I don't desire the permanence of a vasectomy. As a physician, I knew some heat-based methods existed but wasn't really sure how they worked.

I found this extremely useful page on male contraception and was intrigued by the method espoused by Dr. Marthe Voegeli. Between 1930 and 1950 she had good results with a small sample of Indian men. Her method consisted of soaking the testicles in 116°F water 45 minutes. This was done every day for 3 weeks, and resulted in 6 months of temporary infertility. She found it to be extremely effective and low in side effects.

I have started to gather information and equipment. While I won't be tracking formal sperm counts, I will be examining my semen and posting the results. This won't be much of an experiment, because I don't have any sort of control. I will try to do it as systematically as possible.

My hypotheses:
  1.  3 weeks of daily scrotal heat will prevent pregnancy for 6 months
  2. The number of sperm seen on a 40x microscope field will visibly decrease
I will work out my design methods and post them as I figure out what I am doing.

1 comment: